Saturday, January 10, 2009

The First Secret of Highly Creative Women

Today is the start of a book blogging group that I’ve signed up for, hosted by the sparkling Jamie Ridler. The book we’ll all be reading and writing about in the next 12 weeks is 'The 12 Secrets of Highly Creative Women by Gail McMeekin. Each week we will be diving deeper into the words on the page. This week focusing on acknowledging our creative selves.

I guess I have always been creative but I have never thought so. Growing up I could always be found drawing in front of the TV or playing the instrument I was learning. In those years I learned to play the piano, Saxophone and viola. I have only recently started acknowledging how important my creative side really is.

I can really relate to 'competing in the corporate world' and 'an imbalance of masculine and femine energies'. Through out my corporate life I had to push myself into the 'boys clubs'. I was always the only woman surrounded by men doing a job that was traditionally done by men. So the consent need to prove myself was ever present.

I saw I was being treated differently and my male counterparts were getting away with everything leaving me to pick up the slack. which only made me want to fight harder and change the system!

Having spent a number of years in the rat race and having to always push and fight my way through. I got tired of fighting. My husband and I packed up our stuff and moved to the country. Not knowing what we were moving too.

We would spend time every summer at our cottage by the lake and I would feel refreshed and the creative ideas would flow once I was outside city limits.

Having changed my career path 6 times to date I use to think of myself as a failure but someone suggested my changes were due to my being creative. My new label stuck!

5 comments:

  1. You're obviously a creative woman! This journey through the book is going to be fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like how you changed your definition of yourself to something that you liked and found fit you better (plus from a "negative" to a positive!) You certainly have been creative! It's kind of funny from the strangers outside perspective to hear you never thought of yourself that way!

    How lovely to live in the country. That's one of my own goals.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I admire that you made the decision to pack it in and stop living life according to other people's definition of success. That to me is success, knowing what you want and going for it. It's called "living the dream"! How much more successful can one be? :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. How wonderful that you chose to follow your heart and soul through interior decorating! Each project will nourish you both creatively and spiritually. I am sure that your clients will appreciate your commitment and vision.
    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete